Although dry burning is a popular practice by those who make their own coils, experts have now advised that it is something that should be avoided. A dry burn to your coil is when you apply a considerable amount of power to the bare coil to heat it and to clean it from any residuals left over from the manufacturing process. Dry burning is also often used for spacing and alignment. However expert chemists have now said that you should avoid this practice as it may affect the structure of the metal or alloy which the coil is made from, and this can lead to particles being produced that may accidentally be consumed by the vaper. The heating element of an e-cig is made from resistance wire which is then exposed to a current of electricity. There are several different types of wire being used to make coils, however scientists agree that none of the varieties should ever be dry burned.
What Types Of Coil Are There?
There are many different metals and alloys used today in the manufacture of coils. Here are the main options available:
- Kanthal – this is an alloy made up of iron, chromium and aluminium. When it is heated up, aluminium oxides form a layer which protects the wire’s surface
- Nichrome – this is an alloy made up of nickel and chromium. When it is heated up to a burning hot temperature, a layer of chromium (III) oxide forms on the outside of the wire and this prevents any further oxidation occurring on the heating element.
- Stainless Steel – this is a recently introduced material. Stainless steel is an alloy made up of iron and carbon, and it also has a presence of a minimum of 13% chromium. This chromium content prevents a protective layer of chromium oxide from forming. Stainless steel also contains some other trace metal contaminants including manganese and molybdenum.
Why Is Dry Burning Not Recommended?
There are three reasons why dry burning is considered to be dangerous:
- The oxidised material which forms a coating on the surface of the wire may peel off during vaping, and it can then be transferred into the lungs as microscopic particles.
- Some people may find that they develop allergies to the particulate matter. For example, nickel is well known for causing redness, itching and rashes on the skin.
- Particular matter may also be toxic for organisms.
Dry burning can amplify the normal process of corrosion on the coil’s surface and deteriorates the heating element’s quality prematurely.
What Is An Unintentional Dry Burn?
Unintentional dry burning occurs when runs low in the atomiser’s tank and the cotton of the wick cannot become wet enough. If this should happen, it is important to immediately discard the burnt coil and to replace it with a new one. You should also avoid using any old coils a second time, and corrosion will probably have developed on its surface, making the metal’s surface very fragile. It is also not recommended to exchange used coils between different users.
How Can I Avoid Dry Burning?
While dry burning is unlikely to make vaping a less healthy option than smoking traditional tobacco cigarettes, it can increase the chance of potentially harmful substances being released that may then be inhaled by the vaper. Therefore, instead of dry burning the a home-made coil to check its consistency and to clean any manufacturing residuals from its surface, you should instead heat it to a moderate level. You are also advised to build non-touching coils as this prevents the occurrence of hot spots. Another solution is to use a coiler to help build your coils in an easily reproducible way. Instead of opting for a metal or alloy coil, there are also other alternatives available on the market today, and these may be a safer alternative although testing of these elements is currently underway. Ceramic heating elements can now be purchased and at the present time, these appear to be a safer alternative to metals and alloys. You can also enjoy safer vaping by only choosing high quality e-liquids from reputable manufacturers and by buying advanced mods which enable the user to control the temperature at which it is used.